Grilled Bacon Wrapped Mushroom & Swiss Meatloaf
Grilling season is here and what could be better than melding the flavors of a mushroom and swiss burger with bacon. With 10 to 12 servings this recipe is perfect for a BBQ with family and friends and reheats well for leftovers.
- 3 lbs ground beef (avoid lean and go for higher fat content for juicier meatloaf)
- 2 lbs bacon
- 4 oz baby portobella mushrooms slices (baby portobello's taste best)
- 4 oz shredded swiss cheese
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- Season 3lbs ground beef with 2 tsp garlic salt, 2 tsp, sea salt and 2 tsp onion salt. Feel free to add any of your own favorite seasoning, make sure to knead into meat so that all meat is fully seasoned.
- Roll or press ground beef out into a rectangle. You'll want it to be about 12 inches long and about 6 to 8 inches wide.
- Layer 4 oz of sliced mushrooms on your rolled out ground beef. Then Layer 4 oz of shredded Swiss cheese over the mushrooms.
- Peel up the long side of the ground beef and begin to roll so the mushrooms and cheese are on the inside of the meatloaf. Roll up like a swiss roll pinching the seams closed and set aside.
- Starting from the center of the board on the left side, alternately layer your bacon strips in rows leaving 10 slices for the horizontal layer. One row should be above the center and one row should be below the center of the board. Please see photo for layout. Once your vertical bacon rows are layed out create the horizontal layer by placing 5 slices of bacon towards the left and 5 slices towards the right so that each side meats in the middle. Slide meatloaf to the center of the bacon and fold in the right and left side to make sure each end is completely covered. Starting from the left side, criss cross in a braid fashion bringing the bacon strip over the top of the meatloaf and tucking under. Continue to criss cross bacon until it is completely wrapped. You can use another method of choice to wrap meatloaf, whichever you find easier as long as meatloaf if completely wrapped in bacon.
- Slide meatloaf onto a double layer of aluminum foil and fold up the edges all the way around to help catch the grease. Place on preheated grill for 1 hour or until bacon is crisp. Depending on grill temp, may be 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Remove from grill and let stand for 5 minutes and ready to serve.